Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My Sakura illustration inspired from Sachiko Umoto



My stick people drawing upgraded with the help of Sachiko Umoto, a japanese artist who has published illustration books. Her style is a trademark of japanese art- simple and cartoony. I love everything japanese and since had the chance to visit their very cool country, my love for everything jap has leveled up five times more!


Umoto's books teaches you the basics of illustration from making a face, to a person's action, a still object, a season, different animals simplified, and more. My attempt to follow her style was based on a feature of her book which you can trace the drawings featured every after chapter, sort of like a summary but I didn't trace it so as to challenge myself not to copy her every stroke. She encourages you to try different actions with the help of her basic tips. The simplicity of her drawings by the use of a point pen, watercolor, markers and colored pencils makes her art so clean, yet expressive and tasteful and of course so japanese-y.

Here's an attempt as inspired from her sakura series done during a rainy day. Ironic how rain can make you unproductive but can still be diverted into something fulfilling.

More than just the contemporary stick people drawing. So happy! Tell me what you think. haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment